What we do:
NZAVS advocates for scientifically viable, humane research, testing and teaching methods that reliably benefit animals, people and science, as well as, not bringing harm to humans and other animals. We lobby for legislative and systemic changes and provide education to the public in order to dismantle the misconceptions around the animal model. We want to see a large scale societal shift towards a cruelty-free lifestyle and attitude in New Zealand as well as in a global context.
The New Zealand Anti-Vivisection Society (NZAVS), is NZ’s only non-profit organisation with the sole purpose to end animal experimentation for animals, people and science.
We work to end animal experimentation and the harmful use of animals for research, testing or teaching purposes.
Our Core Beliefs:
- Due to the anatomical, metabolic, genetic, physiological, psychological and other differences that exist between species, no species can be an accurate model for another. Therefore, animals can’t predict the human response to drugs and disease. For something to have predictive value in science it needs to predict the correct outcome around 90-95% of the time but instead, the use of animals to try and model the human response to drugs and disease fails over 95% of the time!
- NZAVS agrees with the scientific principles expressed in Trans-Species Modelling Theory (TSMT)1 which explains why differences in anatomy, metabolism, and physiology invalidate the use of animals to predict human response to drugs and disease.
- The intent/motivation should always be not to cause harm to animals or people. If a replacement/viable method doesn’t exist, work should be done to develop one. The first questions that should always be asked are: How can we find the answer/solution to this problem that is species-specific, scientifically viable and does not harm anyone? And what would we do if it was regarding a human?
- Animals are sentient and feel pain. This is also recognised in NZ law.2
- Animals aren’t commodities. It’s morally wrong to exploit animals.
- NZAVS only engages in and endorses non-violent tactics and strategies to end animal experimentation. The animal experimentation industry is complex and has multiple factors contributing to its existence. Our focus is on using fact-based campaigns to address aspects of that industry to create a better world for both humans and animals.